Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Forge at Initial Alpha

Good news! The Forge is at the initial alpha version! That means that all major features for version 1.0 have been implemented! There is a long way to go before there's a stable release version of 1.0, but the project has come a long way as well.

I'll be straitforward though. This version is extremely buggy. I need to get it a bit more stable before I'll feel comfortable releasing an alpha version to the world. Most of the serious bugs that I'm running into (they're bad enough to make the program alltogether useless) come from operations that leave the mesh invalid (messing up the winged-edge data structure). So I've written some code to validate a mesh, and ensure that it is valid. Once this is working for all of the modifiers and the primitives, I'll be uploading a copy to the web so others can play around with it. Even when those bugs are worked out, there will still be a ways to go. And let's not forget that version 1.0 is as simplified as it possibly can be, and only minimally useful. But this is just the first step in what will hopefully be a useful program at some point in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment