Thursday, June 18, 2009

Normals, Smooth Shading, and Material Editor

Progress the last couple of days has been slow. I've had other things that I've been working on, and a couple of bugs that gave me problems for a long period of time. But it's time for some updates.

I got normals into the model, mostly. When modifiers change the model, they'll need to recalculate the normals. Once I got the normals in there, I put in smooth shading, and I'm debating on allowing the user to switch back and forth between smooth and flat shading in version 1.0.



Also, I got started on color based materials. Texturing won't come until after version 1.0, but color materials are coming soon. Below is a screenshot of the material editor that is in place right now. I still have some work to do to assign materials to faces.



I still have a way to go, but over the last two days, I've begun tackling the two biggest features left: normals, and materials. I also finished up most of the menu items, and there are only a few things left to do before The Forge reaches an alpha state. (For The Forge, an alpha stage is one where all major features are implemented, but still buggy.) If I keep finding time to work on it, this might happen in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment