Sunday, June 21, 2009

Version 1.0 Plans

I just wanted to make a short post about what's left to do for version 1.0. I'm getting to the point where all major features have been implemented. There are only a few things left to do.

First, I want to implement an undo/redo system. This is important, because you occasionally make mistakes, and of course, you need the program to be forgiving, and allow you to go back.

Second, I want an importer that can read in OBJ files. The exporter for OBJ files is already complete. The importer will be a bit more complicated.

Third, I'm planning on implementing group selection, so that instead of selecting everything one item at a time, you can drag a box across the screen and select everything inside of it.

Fourth, I still need to do some work on the deletion modifiers. In particular, you can't delete faces at all, and the vertex and edge deletion modifiers are limited and buggy.

Fifth, I still need to finish my sphere primitive, which is only partly implemented.

Once these five steps are complete, we'll have a functional alpha version that has all major features implemented, though likely still quite buggy.

After version 1.0 is complete, I'm planning on developing a version 1.1, that has a few more primitive types (cone and torus) as well as a couple more modifiers (especially ones along normals, and possibly an extrude region) and a few more importers and exporters (.dae, .fbx, and .3ds, all of which can be done with the FBX SDK).

No comments:

Post a Comment